I am a lifelong learner and experienced software engineering professional with a demonstrated history of success in the computer software industry.
- M.S. Computer Science, University of South Carolina, 2020
- B.S. Information Technology, Georgia Southern University, 2017
- Computer Science, Augusta University, (no degree)
- TaxSlayer, LLC, Augusta, GA
- Chief Technology Officer, Sept 2018 - present I am responsible for leading TaxSlayer’s engineering operations and technology strategy across the company’s product portfolio.
- Director of Software Engineering, Sept 2016 - Sept 2018
- Principal Software Engineer, Sept 2007 - Sept 2016
- Global Emergency Resources, LLC, Augusta, GA
- Vice President of Software Development, Oct 2006 - Sept 2007 I lead all efforts in the development of a web-based status tracking and management application that we developed using Microsoft’s Visual Studio 2005 using C, ASP.NET, SQL, AJAX, WebServices, PocketPC, and ArcGIS. Additionally, I managed day-to-day IT operations.
- Ipswitch, INC, Augusta, GA
Principal Software Enginer, Jan 2004 - Oct 2006 I was responsible for developing Ipswitch’s products from the initial goal statement through final release within established project schedules and budgets. This involved creating design specifications, providing input into the project and test plans, designing and developing applications, bringing the product through the Alpha and Beta releases, formal testing processes, to product release to the public. Included in these responsibilities are identifying and investigating new product ideas or new technologies to improve existing products. I provided training, insight, and support to all team members, managers, developers, testers, and support personnel in matters of the software process, design, and implementation.
- Lead development efforts for WS-FTP client 2007
- Designed and developed ASP/ASP.NET/C Web Client for IMail server.
- Designed and developed COM API using ATL for web integrations with backing legacy systems.
- Designed and developed product registration for use in all Ipswitch products.
- Senior Software Engineer, Jan 2001 - Jan 2004
- Designed and developed Ipswitch Instant Messenger.
- Designed and developed Doozler, a file transfer client.
- Implemented a network sniffer application and firewall.
- Implemented C++ class wrappers for much of the WIN32 API.
- Implemented the Administrator tool and a utility to populate the LDAP database for IMail 6.0
- Software Engineer, Jan 1998 - Jan 2001
- Implemented WhatsUp Gold 4.0.
- Implemented spool clean-up utility, ODBC interface, and IWeb Admin utilities for IMail 5.0.
- Made significant contributions to WhatsUp Gold 4.0 development plan and design.
- Implemented NT Performance Monitor interface.
- Implemented WhatsUp Gold 4.0 COM service module.
- Implemented WhatsUp Gold 4.0 speech capability.
- Implemented WS-Ping ProPack 2.10.
- DeepLearning.ai AI for Everyone, 2019
- ASTQB Certified Tester - Foundation Level, 2018
- Xamarin Certified Mobile Developer, 2014
- Microsoft Certified Trainer, 2012
- Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist: SQL Server, 2009
- Microsoft Certified Professional Developer, 2007
- Certified ScrumMaster, 2006
Open Source Projects
- Author, Xamarin.Forms.ARToolkit https://github.com/peter-mourfield/Xamarin.Forms.ARToolkit
- Author, MobileViewEngines https://github.com/peter-mourfield/MobileViewEngines
- Contributor, NerdDinner https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=nerddinner
- How to become (or work with) a world-class CTO, Augusta Tech Talk, 2018
- Building Connected Cross-platform mobile apps with Xamarin, Atlanta Code Camp, 2013
- Build Cross-platform Mobile Apps with Xamarin, Enterprise Developers Guild, 2013
- Making your first PhoneGap Application with Peter Mourfield, The Hanselminutes Podcast, 2012
- Using jQuery Mobile with ASP.NET MVC, Gwinnett Georgia Microsoft User Group, 2011
- What Features of ASP.NET 4.0 Must Developers Learn, Deep Fried Bytes Podcast, 2011
- A Deeper Dive into jQuery, RefreshAugusta, 2009
- ASP.NET MVC, StackOverflow DevDays (Austin and Los Angeles), 2009
Professional Society Memberships
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- IEEE Computer Society, Senior Member (IEEE-CS)
- Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE) - International Honor Society for the Computing and Information Disciplines
- ASP Insiders
My research interests are in the field of machine learning with an emphasis on the applications of reinforcement learning in automated software testing.
I am interested in teaching various courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including software engineering, artificial intelligence, machine learning, database design, data analytics, and data mining.
- Mourfield, P. Improving Auto-Scaling Performance of an In-Memory Data Store using Machine Learning, FOSD 2020, Vienna, Austria. (conference cancelled due to COVID-19)
- Mourfield, P. Using Augmented Reality and iBeacons to Provide Mobile Devices Golf Course Information, Georgia Southern University College of Engineering and Information Technology Research Symposium, April 2017. (poster)
- Mourfield, P. Professional ASP.NET MVC 5 (technical editor), Wiley Publishing. 2014.
- Program Evaluator, CSAB/ABET, 2020 (on hold due to COVID-19)
- Reviewer, Software Architecture: 13th European Conference - ECSA, 2019
- Program Committee, 31st Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training, 2018
- Industry Advisory Board, Augusta University Schoole of Computer and Cyber Sciences, 2014 - Present
- Program Advisory Committee, Augusta Technical College, 2014 - Present
- Graduate, Leadership Augusta, 2008